Good nutrition can help women with breast cancer
Breast cancer awareness is an effort to encourage and inform women about early detection and diagnosis, as this is very useful in the treatment journey. However, following a good diet and some healthy nutritional habits are also an important part in cancer treatment, recovery and prevention.
Some of the best practices that women should follow to protect themselves are:
- Maintaining a healthy body weight: Being overweight is considered as a strong risk factor of breast cancer, studies have shown that the risk of having breast cancer increases for overweight women after menopause compared to those of healthy weight.
- Exercising and staying active: being physically active is as important as eating healthy, women who exercise 4 hours per week or longer have a lower risk of breast cancer.
- Quitting the habit of smoking: smoking affects the development of new cells which higher the risk for cancer.
- Eating a rainbow of fruits and veggies, how?
- Eat a plant-based diet: A study of more than 91.000 women found that following a diet mainly plants could cut the risk of developing breast cancer by 15%.
- Think pink: Studies show that women who consume the most carotenoids rich food reduce their risk of breast cancer by 19%. Carotenoids can be found in sweet potato, dried apricot, grapefruit, red pepper, raspberries, guava, red onion.
- Have more of:
Dietary fiber: Fiber supports the digestive system and regular elimination of waste; it helps the body to get rid of toxins and limit the damage they can do.
Soy: Soy is an excellent source of protein, fiber, B vitamins, iron, calcium and isoflavones which can possibly help bind estrogen and may decrease the risk of hormone related breast cancer.
Omega 3: it can reduce the risk of breast cancer cells development.
Turmeric: Is a spice that contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidants properties that reduce growth and development of breast cancer cells.
Limit the intake of fat, concentrated sweets, added sugar and sugary beverages, raw food like sushi or undercooked meats, processed meats and cold cuts.
Your commitment to all of these tips will help you in protecting yourself from breast cancer, in addition to the healthy weight you will enjoy, and the proper nutrition you will get.
And if you have breast cancer, a healthy lifestyle will definitely help you with your treatment journey.