Discover your child's special talents
Written by: Dana Barto
Parents are usually proud of their children’s intelligence, and some might get upset when they are told otherwise!
It is totally normal for parents to feel or think this way about their children, and they should not hide it from their little ones as it lifts their self-confidence and improves adapting to their surroundings.
The problem arises when parents try to mold or change their child's personality to match the image they have created in their minds. Why is it a problem? Because this image was created based on their own unfulfilled dreams or fears of the child failure in the future!
As such the parent will focus on child's weaknesses, forgetting or even neglecting their strengths and hidden talents. This will convey a negative message to the kids that says “you are not enough” or “you have a problem with dealing with your surroundings”, which will lead to lower self-esteem and confidence.
It is important for parents to know that their children have their own independent personalities with it's own special qualities, and that our role as parents is to embrace our child’s capabilities and strengths.
In the past, a child’s intelligence was evaluated based on his academic records, but now, many studies have revealed that there are many different types of intelligence, and that each child has his own special intelligence. This has helped parents and educators to focus on each child’s unique qualities and attributes and to support them so they can blossom in the future.
Howard Gardner has classified intelligence into eight types, which are:
- Ability to form different sentences.
- Ability to negotiate and discuss.
- Ability to write texts in different forms.
- Ability to memorize.
- Ability to solve mathematical equations and to apply them on real cases.
- Ability to transform information into numbers.
- Ability to conclude.
- Ability to use physical skills like athletes, surgeons or jobs that require prompt action and thinking like the fire fighters.
- Ability to interact with others, understand people, and make friends easily.
- Ability to use appropriate words in the right time while dealing with people.
- Ability to react correctly in different situations.
- Ability to understand people’s natures.
- Ability of self-control in many situations
- Good planning, and the ability to take the right decisions.
- Ability to identify voices, tunes and to memorize them.
- Ability to write music.
- Ability to play on a musical instrument.
- Ability to identify images, memorize and modify them; like painters, engineers and photographers.
- Strong imagination levels
- Ability to control emotions and use them in a logical way, and to control reactions to others, like the actor when he controls his feelings while playing his role.
So, after understanding your children’s type of intelligence, you will be able to explore their talents and hidden qualities easily, how?
- Follow up on your kid and pay attention to what he really loves, his intelligence type and reactions.
- Encourage him to experience different kinds of activities, such as sports, music, art, science, etc… and do not force him to do things against his well, just because it is what you want for him.
- Follow the open-door policy at home to create a comforting atmosphere for your children, so they would feel happy and comfortable to express themselves and develop their abilities.
- Never compare your child with other kids, and always encourage him to challenge himself.
- Show interest while answering your child’s questions and help him find the answer.
- Continuous support.
- Always be a good example for your child.
Every human being is unique and different and for every child there are some characteristics and qualities that need to be embraced and directed by parents, so he can grow up confident about himself.
Childhood is the most important stage in a human’s life, it is where personalities are formed, and human attributes are developed.